SPORTSCO Leisure Centre comprises a gym (with functional training area), 25m swimming pool, sports hall, fitness studios, tennis and squash courts and 5-a-side soccer pitches. We’re located on a 4 acre site at South Lotts Road, Dublin 4, close to Shelbourne Park Greyhound track and the Gasworks. SPORTSCO was established in 1979 and it’s commitment to continual improvement, along with over 30 years experience, has ensured its position as one of the leading leisure facilities in the country.
Lorna has over 30 years experience in the leisure industry and started her career with SPORTSCO in 1984, while representing the ESB swimming club competitively. Her passion for the industry resulted in her qualifying in all aspects of the industry. Lorna has been in management since 1995 and has been General Manager of SPORTSCO since 2005. She has recently achieved an M.Sc. (Mgmt) from Trinity College and the Irish Management Institute and is also a qualified senior quality auditor.
Lorna and her team pride themselves on delivering a high level of customer service and quality at all times.
The Q-Mark has been awarded to SPORTSCO by EIQA in recognition of our systematic approach to assuring a quality product and service. It is Ireland’s national symbol of quality and SPORTSCO are the first stand-alone sports and leisure centre to receive the award.
SPORTSCO hold the White Flag Excellence (Gold Standard) award from Ireland Active. This award is sports and leisure specific and covers criteria such as hygiene, waste management, environmental and leisure standards. SPORTSCO are one of over eighty clubs in the country to achieve the White Flag Excellence Award.
We are also proud recipient of the JCI Friendliest Business Award in the ‘Disability Access category’ – we believe health & fitness facilities should be available to all sections of the community and have invested in ensuring our facilities are accessible to all members with disabilities. See ‘Accessibility’ section below for more details.
Our mission is to enhance the health and wellbeing of all our members and guests,
- By providing the very best in sports facilities and excellent amenities in a safe, professional and hygienic environment
- By providing professional, innovative programs to encourage lifelong active and healthy lifestyles
- By striving for Quality, through the delivery of professional service
- By our commitment to continuously improve the complex to satisfy member’s needs
We are committed to providing the very best of service in all areas. SPORTSCO provides the following:
- 4 disabled parking spaces are provided opposite main entrance
- Access ramp to main entrance
- Wheelchair-accessible entrance to footpath from main car park
- Exterior lighting provided
- Automated doors at main entrance
- Lowered reception desk to facilitate communication
- Recessed area for comfort when filling in documentation
- Disabled toilet facilities in reception foyer
- Lift access from reception foyer to first floor
- Wheelchair-accessible entrance through turnstiles
- Portable induction loop provided
- Brightly lit area for clarity of vision
- Disabled changing area within family changing room
- 2 wet seats, one of which is portable
- Wheelchair-accessible lockers are provided
- Pool hoist available
- Hand rails fitted between changing rooms and pool deck
- Spectator area is wheelchair accessible
- Wheelchair-accessible entrance
- A variety of wheelchair-accessible equipment is provided
- Technogym upper-body ergometer
- LifeFitness cable pulley station
- Variety of visually-impaired accessible equipment
- Cybex Arc-Trainer (yellow foot-pedals and hand-grips)
- Technogym upper-body ergometer (yellow adjustment levers)
- All resistance equipment (Cybex – Eagle Range) have colour-coded adjustment knobs for visually-impaired individuals
- Brightly lit area for clarity of vision
- Clear colour-coded boundaries between cardio and resistance areas
All SPORTSCO staff complete disability awareness training on a regular basis.
The 2009 Leinster Region Special Olympics were held in SPORTSCO, and other Special Olympics groups train here on a regular basis. Other special needs groups also currently use the facility.